In June 1907 members of several Midwestern real estate boards met in Duluth, MN, to discuss business issues. The meeting led to the founding in May 1908 of the National Association of Real Estate Exchanges, now known as the National Association of REALTORS®.
The following images are selected from an album of photographs (compiled in 1939), showing the meeting attendees as they gathered in Duluth and toured various sites in the area. The photographer was R. Bruce Douglas, who would later serve as the National Association's Executive Secretary from 1909-1911. The captions are quoted from the original album.
"The official photographer had just ordered 'Hats off'. Easy to recognize after 32 years are Gerald O'Reilly of St. Louis, front row with hand in pocket; Col. Val Surghnor, Chicago, in light suit back of him; James T. Blake, St. Louis, right center, bald, white vest, he became National Association Treas.; Col. Nathan Wm. McChesney, Chicago, at Blake's left elbow removing straw hat; Ed. Porth, Milwaukee, front row in front of MacChesney both hands on hat; E. E. Rogers, Milwaukee, at Porth's left elbow; C. N. Chadbourn, Minneapolis, at Rogers' left elbow."
"Front row four from Milwaukee, left to right. E. A. Conrad, Fred W. Rogers, Ed. Porth and E. E. Rogers. Whitney Wall of Duluth in cap and light cravat between Conrad and Fred Rogers."
"The Power House. Looks like C. N. Chadbourn, front center."
"Minnehaha. As it was when Longfellow saw it."
Watch a slideshow of the entire album: