On Oct. 10, NAR conducted a national Workforce Housing Forum: Bring Workers Home 2012 in Chicago. The meeting was followed by an Employer-Assisted Housing (EAH) class on Oct. 11.
This year’s event drew over 175 participants from 20 states across the U.S., and Canada. It covered a wide range of issues, including:
- Advocacy and policy programs and strategies
- Affordable housing finance and development
- Consumer education, outreach & assistance
- Neighborhood stabilization and foreclosure solutions
The forum provided an opportunity for REALTORS® and association staff from around the country to come together with state and local housing leaders, business professionals, lenders, and local government officials.
How Can Your Association Get Involved?
We encourage associations to take the lead in addressing workforce housing issues in your community. A first step would be to hold a local forum to bring together stakeholders in your community to identify issues and discuss strategies.
NAR has created a series of tools and resources to assist state and local associations in taking the next step.
- Apply for funding to host a Workforce Housing forum or Employer-Assisted Housing (EAH) event in your community, or to hold an EAH Class. To learn more and apply, visit the Realtor® Action Center HOP grant page.
- Use the Housing Opportunity Program toolkits and guides to get tips on how to plan and implement your own workforce housing events and initiatives.
Join the New Online Community
In order to continue this dialogue, NAR has created an online community. We encourage you to join the online community and share your initiatives, questions, successes and news in addressing local workforce housing challenges with the rest of the community.
Join the online community here. Complete the form and wait for approval.
To discuss planning a workforce housing forum or program in your area, contact Lora McCray at email@example.com.
To discuss planning an EAH Initiative or sponsoring an EAH Class, contact Holly Moskerintz at firstname.lastname@example.org.