The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® in March awarded more than $200,000 to 11 REALTOR® associations for their outstanding real estate public policy or advocacy ideas, as part of the My REALTOR® Party Game Changer program.
The goal of the competition was to find new programs, events, or plans that could change the way business is typically conducted. NAR hopes these ideas can be replicated by other state and local associations.
- The Florida Association of REALTORS®, as part of its winning proposal, will be the exclusive sponsor of the Republican National Convention’s “Media Welcome Kit.” At the single largest media event, next to the Olympics, in 2012, FAR will supplement the media kit with Home Ownership Matters campaign materials and other real estate-related positive messaging that focuses on “Housing Equals Jobs,” and the many benefits to home ownership. The sponsorship also includes a speaking opportunity on one of only six “Policy Forum” panels being conducted during the convention.
- The Greater Las Vegas Association of REALTORS® will use its $25,000 award to partner with Rebuilding Together Southern Nevada, a chapter of a decades-old national organization that provides home maintenance, repairs, and upkeep to low-income, elderly, disabled, and veteran homeowners in need.The Illinois Association of REALTORS® will develop and mail a newsletter geared toward local officials, covering various topics in growth and real estate.
- The Louisiana REALTORS® will use its $25,000 grant to augment its LAHomeOwners.org Web site to advocate for Louisiana property owners.
- The Marin County Association of REALTORS®, Calif., plans to bring its popular Online Housing Turnover Index to mobile and other platforms, expanding its ability to lobby for fair and effective alternatives to point-of-sale retrofit ordinances.
- The Memphis Area Association of REALTORS® will partner with the City of Memphis, the Memphis Homebuilders, and other local organizations to address the mayor’s no. 1 issue of reducing blight within the city.
- The Miami Association of REALTORS® will create a Market Solutions Through Political Advocacy team to identify issues and solutions that can be achieved through advocacy.
- The North Carolina Association of REALTORS® and Charlotte Regional REALTOR® Association, along with a coalition of other local and commercial boards, have come up with a promotional billboard campaign to run during the Democratic National Convention in North Carolina, focusing on issues affecting property owners, as well as REALTORS®.
- The Reno Sparks Association of REALTORS® will use $2,950 to launch a Get Out the Vote Campaign and register its association office as an early voting site.
- The Utah Association of REALTORS® will develop a Vote by Mail Campaign to boost member awareness and activism.
- The REALTOR® Association of the Palm Beaches was awarded a special recognition grant to implement RAMCO (the REALTOR® association management system to reach members and non-members for targeted advocacy messaging).
For more on the winning programs, visit the REALTOR® Action Center.