William C. Miller
President of the National Association of REALTORS® - 1933
A citizen of Washington, D.C., William Cammack Miller* joined with his brother in 1912 in founding the W.C. & A.N. Miller Development Company, which built a large portion of Washington’s most beautiful homes and developed two of the city’s outstanding residential communities, Wesley Heights and Spring Valley. One of the first community planners to abandon the rectilinear pattern of subdivision layout, Mr. Miller adopted for Spring Valley a system of curvilinear roadways, thus preserving the natural contours of the gently rolling land as well as most of the large trees in this richly wooded area. He was also one of the first developers to substitute underground wiring for overhead electric wires and exposed poles. His work won recognition for its architectural merit by the Municipal Arts Committee of the Board of Trade and by the Architectural Council of the American Institute of Architects.
Mr. Miller served on the committees on construction and on subdivision layout of President Hoover’s Conference on Home Building and Home Ownership.
Closely identified with public life in Washington, Mr. Miller was a member of the Washington Board of Trade, a president of the Lions Club, a director of the Washington Chamber of Commerce, a member of the advisory committee of the Riggs National Bank, president of the Washington Yale Club, and a director of Columbia Country Club. He was a president of the Washington Real Estate Board.
Under his leadership as president, the National Association of Real Estate Boards adopted for the first time a comprehensive program for real estate tax modernization and secured exemption for mortgages and mortgage bond issues under the Federal Securities Act.
Mr. Miller served as chairman of the National Association’s Home Builders and Subdividers Division and was long active on its consultation committee.
Source: Presidents of the National Association of REALTORS®, (Chicago: NAR, 1980).