At Home With Diversity® is an educational opportunity designed to present a picture of the changing face of the real estate industry to real estate brokers, agents, association executives, and anyone associated with the industry.
The class teaches real estate professionals how they can increase their sensitivity and adaptability to future market trends. It addresses issues of diversity, fair housing, and cultural differences. Participants will learn practical skills and tools to expand business and effectively service all cultural groups.
Topics Covered in the Course
- Cultural forecast for America
- Cultural demographics
- Adapting for the future
- The philosophy of inclusion
- Cultural stereotypes
- Sense of self and space
- Where cultures vary
- Creating comfort with differences
- Projecting positive attitudes
- Showing positive regard
- Applying local demographics
- Inclusion and fair housing laws
- Avoiding discrimination
- Predatory lending
- Business planning
The course has two major goals:
- Heighten awareness of and sensitivity to the social and cultural constituencies of local real estate markets. Participants will learn about the people who make up the local market, their values, customs, real estate needs, and expectations of real estate professionals.
- Provide practical skills and tools to increase the professional’s effectiveness in servicing all social groups. Specifically, the course helps participants develop skills in cross-cultural communication and strategic business planning.
Upon completion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Examine cultural stereotypes, assumptions, and biases to increase awareness of such thoughts and attitudes, and learn how to value individual differences.
- Explain that inclusion is the aim of diversity sensitivity, and how it will increase business and enhance risk management.
- Communicate more effectively, and provide equal service to clients in their multicultural local markets.
- Apply and practice One America Principles and fair housing laws.
- Build and expand understanding of cultural differences.
- Develop professional and sensitive guidelines for working with people of different cultures. Identify personal objectives and review potential strategies to create business plans that include diversity.
- Research and interpret data to assess cultural attributes in their local markets.
- Access and analyze U.S. demographic information to understand the impact of current trends on the real estate industry.
- Modify marketing and selling strategies to attract and service multicultural and international clients in their local markets.
- Develop a business plan, based on inclusion and diversity, to address specific needs of clients in the local multicultural and international markets.