This page provides links to NAR's major policy documents including the Code of Ethics, NAR's Constitution and Bylaws, and the model governing documents for local/state associations of REALTORS®.
Code of Ethics
The NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice establishes ethical duties that all REALTORS® agree to follow as a condition of their membership. These duties provide a high level of service and professionalism to clients/customers and are the key factor separating REALTORS® from all other real estate practitioners.
Professionalism in Real Estate Practice provides a concise explanation of the meaning and content of the Code's articles and standards of practice.
NAR Constitution and Bylaws
The National Association of REALTORS® Constitution and Bylaws govern the National Association, its committees, leadership, and the relationship with NAR, state associations, and local associations. Read or download the NAR Constitution and Bylaws.
Model Documents/Policy Publications
The following are provided to develop governing documents for local and state associations of REALTORS® and to apply/enforce REALTOR® Association policy including duties of membership, professional standards, and multiple listings.
- The Model Bylaws for Local Member Boards sets forth the organizational policies and governing procedures for local associations of REALTORS®. Local association staff can refer to the Model Bylaws as a guide when developing and updating local association bylaws.
- The Model Bylaws for State Associations sets forth the organizational policies and governing procedures for state associations of REALTORS®. State association staff can refer to the model state bylaws as a guide when developing and updating state association bylaws.
- The Code of Ethics and Arbitration Manual sets forth professional standards policies and procedures to enforce the Code of Ethics, including arbitration and mediation.
- Multiple listing services should refer to the model MLS governing documents when adopting local MLS policies. These models are part of the Handbook on Multiple Listing Policy.
- The MLS Commercial Handbook sets forth the model MLS governing documents for commercial and industrial MLSs and commercial information exchanges.