NAR's governing documents are an important element of the organization's governance.
Code of Ethics
NAR Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, adopted in 1913, establishes standards of ethical practice that all REALTORS® agree to follow as a condition of their membership. These ethical requirements are a key factor separating REALTORS® from all other real estate practitioners.
- Read or download the 2013 Code of Ethics
- Download translations of the Code of Ethics
- View some of this year's key changes to NAR's professional standards
- Purchase hard copies or download an electronic copy—PDF or MS Word—of the Code of Ethics at our store
- View previous years' editions of the Code of Ethics (1913 through 2012)
- Professionalism in Real Estate Practice is a shorthand guide to the Code of Ethics & Standards of Practice providing a brief summary of each article and practice as well as referencing appropriate case interpretations.
- The Code of Ethics and Arbitration Manual provides policies and procedures that local and state associations use to enforce the Code of Ethics and includes the Interpretations to the Code that professional standards hearing panels use to apply the Code to specific ethical situations.
- Code of Ethics Training
- Pathways to Professionalism is a list of professional courtesies for use by REALTORS® on a voluntary basis. The list may be supplemented by local custom and practice.
- Downloadable videos can be presented at your local meeting or training.
Constitution, Bylaws and Interpretations
Read or download the 2013 NAR Constitution, Bylaws, and Interpretations.
Multiple Listing Policy
The purpose of the multiple listing service policy is the orderly correlation and dissemination of listing information to its members so that REALTORS® may better serve the buying and selling public.
The Handbook on Multiple Listing Policy is intended to guide Member Boards in the proper operation of a Multiple Listing Service and to provide suggested articles for insertion in Board bylaws authorizing the establishment of a Multiple Listing Service and bylaws and rules and regulations for the MLS.
- Read the Commercial and Industrial Supplement to the handbook
- Access model MLS governing documents for a committee or a a wholly-owned subsidiary corporation