|Developing State and Local Legislation|
To promote housing opportunities at the state and local levels there is need for greater legislative emphasis to:
- Preserve the existing stock through grants, loans and financial incentives.
- Streamline the zoning and planning approval process.
- Utilize density bonus features that encourage the development of units priced to sell and rent at the lower end of the market.
- Establish housing trust funds in order to build affordable housing
- Better coordinate services and eliminate duplication.
- Make better use of low interest loans, block grants, low-income housing tax credit programs and deferred loan programs to provide both homeownership and rental housing opportunities.