|White House Initiative|
On June 17, 2002, President George W. Bush announced a White House initiative to increase minority homeownership by 5.5 million over the next ten years. President Bush, in making the announcement, praised the housing industry for sharing in the commitment to close a serious and persistent home ownership gap.
"This new White House initiative dovetails with NAR’s own efforts to increase minority homeownership opportunities, such as our new Housing Opportunity Program and the HOPE Awards, which recognize outstanding efforts to promote homeownership by minorities. REALTORS® believe that growing the number of minority homeowners must be a national priority," said NAR President Martin Edwards.
NAR’s efforts which support the White House initiative include:
- Sponsoring partner in the 2003 Home Ownership Participation for Everyone (HOPE) Awards. Read more >>
- Create and host a central data bank of national affordable housing programs mortgage products that any REALTOR may access when working with a client. Read more >>
- Seek and secure commitments from one of the largest local REALTOR associations in each state that they will, over the next 5 years, sponsor at least one homebuyer fair marketed to minority communities annually. Read more >>
- Partner with local housing counseling agencies for cross-referrals to assure that homebuyers have effective financial and homebuying counseling and that counseled home seekers are properly representing in their home search. Read more >>
- Actively partner and participate in the minority homebuying efforts of other organizations.
- The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® will work to certify an additional 2,500 real estate professionals each year under the REALTORS® At Home with Diversity® training program over the next 10 years. Read more >>
- Within the next two years the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® will seek to build on its Smart Growth support of the Joint Center for Sustainable Communities, sponsored by the National Association of Counties and the United States Conference of Mayors, and pursue an alliance to collaboratively develop initiatives that promote minority homeownership. Read more >>
White House Conference on Minority Homeownership: Blueprint for the American Dream