Federal Political Advocacy
During the 114th Congress, the REALTOR® legislative and regulatory agenda has been focused on efforts to stimulate, stabilize, and strengthen real estate markets across the nation while protecting the business interests of members. A fundamentally sound and dynamic U.S. real estate market is an essential component of the American economy and fosters vibrant communities in which to live and work.
Learn about key issues, NAR's position, and how they affect REALTORS®, home buyers, and private property owners by browsing all advocacy issues.
You can also search the issues via the Federal Issues Tracker. There you'll find:
- Bills and Regulations: NAR tracks hundreds of legislative and regulatory proposals every day. Find out where these proposals stand.
- Congressional Testimony: NAR provides expert testimony to committees in both the House of Representatives and the United States Senate.
- Letters to Congress: NAR's President sends letters to lawmakers stating the association's position on certain issues.
- Letters to Federal Agencies: NAR's President sends letters to agencies that regulate some part of the real estate transaction.
- Government Affairs Directory: Our staff can be reached by phone and/or e-mail. Our staff directory is sorted by name, area, and legislative/regulatory issue.
Read weekly Washington Report articles recapping NAR's legislative and regulatory policy activities in the nation's capital.
The New Closing Rules
Watch this recorded webcast to understand the changes to the closing process that went into effect on Oct. 3, 2015. The program featured attorney Phil Schulman, a partner with K&L Gates and former official with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development who specializes in federal closing rules, and NAR Senior Counsel Finley Maxson.