What does data privacy and security mean in today's world?
This Data Security and Privacy Course aims to educate real estate associations, brokers, agents, and multiple listing services about the need for data security and privacy; and to assist them in complying with legal responsibilities.
In this video, President-Elect Steve Brown and Senior Technology Representative Melanie Wyne discuss how to protect your client's information.
- Blog: What’s NAR Doing on Data Security?: NAR has been, and continues to work to establish strong methods to better protect you, your families and your clients
- Social Media Privacy and Security Features: NAR Field Guide providing background information on concerns with various popular social media sites, and including tips and suggestions to protect privacy and identity.
Tools for REALTORS®
What are your legal obligations? Where can you find the latest information about the laws?
- Five Steps Towards Achieving Data Security
- NAR Toolkit (member only)
- NAR Principles: REALTOR® endorsed Data Privacy and Security principles regarding Personal Information
- FTC Data Security Best Practices: Rules and guides for businesses of any size.
- FTC: Privacy Initiatives: A comprehensive listing of compliance resources, including Data Security, from the FTC, categorized by line of work.
- FTC Issues Guidance for Mobile Apps on Privacy and Truth-in-Advertising Laws: An overview of existing laws and FTC policy, and includes a number of “general guidelines” that mobile app developers should consider.
- FTC: Avoid ID Theft: Detailed information to help consumers deter, detect, and defend against identity theft.
- FTC Data Security Best Practices: Free resources to help businesses securely collect, keep, and dispose of sensitive personal information of customers or employees in their files.