Pathways to Professionalism: Respect for Property
Pathways to Professionalism is a list of professional courtesies for voluntary use by REALTORS®. The REALTOR® Association of West/South Suburban Chicagoland took the NAR Pathways to Professionalism one step further by developing a video series articulating its key concepts and courtesies. Originally published in 2007, this segment of the video features an overview of the Pathways to Professionalism "Respect for Property" guidelines. Each of the guidelines is also listed below.
- Be responsible for everyone you allow to enter listed property.
- Never allow buyers to enter listed property unaccompanied.
- When showing property, keep all members of the group together.
- Never allow unaccompanied access to property without permission.
- Enter property only with permission even if you have a lockbox key or combination.
- When the occupant is absent, leave the property as you found it (lights, heating, cooling, drapes, etc). If you think something is amiss (e.g. vandalism) contact the listing broker immediately.
- Be considerate of the seller’s property. Do not allow anyone to eat, drink, smoke, dispose of trash, use bathing or sleeping facilities, or bring pets. Leave the house as you found it unless instructed otherwise.
- Use sidewalks; if weather is bad, take off shoes and boots inside property.